An alleged CIA agent has been briefly detained in Moscow for allegedly trying to recruit a Russian intelligence officer, Russian media report.
The man, named as US diplomat Ryan Fogle, was held overnight before being released to US officials, Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) said.
Russia has declared him "persona non grata" and ordered his expulsion, the foreign ministry said on its website.
The US ambassador to Moscow, Michael McFaul, had been summoned, it added.
Mr Fogle is said to have worked as third political secretary at the US embassy in Moscow, which has issued no comment on the matter so far.
Photos have emerged of his alleged detention.
The agent was reportedly arrested with a large sum of money, technical devices and written instructions for the agent he had tried to recruit.
While it is a sensitive time for US-Russian relations because of the crisis in Syria, the FSB's claims to have unearthed a CIA agent are unlikely to have any long-term political consequences, the BBC's Steve Rosenberg reports from Moscow.
Both countries recently said they wished to step up security co-operation after the Boston Marathon bombing.
Tribal militants in Yemen kidnapped a worker for the International Committee of the Red Cross on Monday, three security officials told CNN.
The aid worker, a Swiss man, was taken to an unidentified location by five gunmen, the officials said. An ICRC spokesman in Yemen declined to provide details. The incident occurred in Abyan province, in the nation's southwest. A claim of responsibility has not yet been issued.
The officials said they don't believe the gunmen were linked to al Qaeda, which has members and sympathizers in Yemen. They call the kidnappers militants who had problems with the Yemeni government.
This comes after armed tribesmen in Abyan last week kidnapped two Egyptians and two Indians. Last week, a Finnish couple and an Austrian kidnapped in December were released by suspected al Qaeda militants after receiving a ransom.
South Sudan on Monday lodged a strongly worded complaint to the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) over the killing of Abyei tribal leader Kuol Deng Kuol, warning that until the perpetuators are identified and brought to justice, it is no longer "business as usual".
South Sudan's minister of foreign affairs and international cooperation, Nhial Deng Nhial, said his country takes the death of the paramount chief of the Dinka Ngok "more seriously" and will not tolerate the case being taken lightly by the international community.
"We have started with clear procedures, legal steps. We have now officially filed and deposited our complaint about this brutal act which violates not only the international law but also humanitarian law. Chief Kuol Deng Kuol was not in combat; He was not carrying a gun; not in possession of any weapon. He was purely [an] unarmed civilian killed in the hands of the United Nations. His security and safety was in the hands of the United Nations", Nhial said, while addressing thousands of mourners who turned out for Kuol's burial on Monday in Abyei town.
South Sudan's top diplomat said that in the course of the past week, his country has observed a higher number of atrocities being committed in the area by armed groups under the control of the Sudanese government, in what he said was not only a clear violation of the UNSC resolution 2046 but an act that must be condemned and confronted.
"The killing of [the] chief was not just an incident. It was preceded by reports of regular killings in the area. The list of those who have been killed has been filed and the United Nations has the details and we believe the killing of the chief will not be taken lightly nor [do] we expect the international community to consider [Kuol's death] a normal thing or usual business ... We hold the government of Sudan responsible because those who killed the chief are under the control of the government of Sudan. They are no stranger to Sudan", he added.
Speaking at the same gathering, Pagan Amum, Secretary Feneral of the governing Sudan People's Liberation Movement (SPLM), accused Sudan of "doing it again", explaining that his country had immediately responded and pulled out all armed forces from border areas as required by the UNSC resolution 2046 and the African Union communiqué, but Sudan had failed to comply.
The International Criminal Court is still investigating war crimes in Libya despite a clash with the country's government over who has the right to try former leader Muammar Gaddafi's son and his spy chief, the court's prosecutor said on Wednesday.
The Hague-based court wants to try Gaddafi's son Saif al-Islam and Gaddafi's former intelligence chief Abdullah al-Senussi on war crimes, but Libya wants the pair to face justice in the North African state.
ICC prosecutor Fatou Bensouda told the U.N. Security Council that while investigations into Saif al-Islam and Senussi had been suspended until a decision was made on where to try them, her office was continuing to probe other crimes in Libya.
"My office is aware of allegations of serious crimes committee by former Gaddafi officials, some of who are now outside of Libya," she told the 15-member council.
"We are currently engaged in the process of documenting the most serious of those crimes and documenting the current activities of those officials who were most responsible for them," Bensouda said.
She said her office will decide whether to pursue a new case "in the near future" and would then consider additional cases. She gave no details on the possible new case.
Libyan lawyer Ahmed al-Jehani, who acts as a liaison between the ICC and the Tripoli government, has said he expected the ICC to decide this month if Libya can conduct Saif al-Islam's and Senussi's trials or whether they should be tried in The Hague.
The court began its work a decade ago and can investigate crimes in countries that have ratified its treaty. It can only pursue crimes in non-member states if authorized by the Security Council, which was the case with Libya.
Stacey Joy Bourdeaux was sentenced to 13 years in the death of her baby boy and the attempted murder of another son. Global News
The Alberta Court of Appeal has upheld the 13 year sentence handed to Stacey Joy Bordeaux in the death of her baby boy.
Bordeaux smothered the baby in 2004. In 2010, she tried to kill her five-year-old son who survived, but with permanent brain damage.
Bordeaux was convicted of manslaughter, attempted murder and failing to provide the necessities of life.
The crown appealed, arguing the 13 year sentence was not severe enough. It asked for a sentence of 18 years.
On Monday, the Alberta Court of Appeal upheld Bourdeaux’s original sentence. Bourdeaux’s 10-month-old, Sean Ronald Fewer, was found not breathing in his crib in December 2004. At the time, his death did not raise any suspicion with the medical examiner, who ruled it was a case of sudden infant death syndrome.
In May 2010, police were called to Alberta Children’s Hospital in Calgary where a five-year-old boy was brought in with breathing trouble.
A few months later, police charged Bourdeaux with attempted murder and choking with intent. They looked into her background and that’s when they discovered Sean’s death.
Bourdeaux pleaded guilty to the charges laid against her.
Damascus: Israeli rockets struck a military facility outside Damascus overnight, Syrian state media said Sunday, as the Jewish state moves to stop weapons from the conflict reaching Hezbollah with its second reported attack in three days.
The official SANA news agency accused Israel of carrying out the attack on the Jamraya military research centre in the Eastern Ghouta region. It did not say if there were any dead or wounded.
"This new Israeli aggression is a clear attempt to alleviate the pressure on the armed terrorist groups after our army beat them back in several regions and after the army's victories on the road to recovering security and stability in Syria," said SANA.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights watchdog said residents in the area reported seeing aircraft when powerful blasts rocked the area, adding the raid had caused casualties.
There was no immediate comment from Israel or the United States.
If confirmed, the attack would be Israel's second this week against targets inside Syria and also its second this year on the Jamraya facility, following a January 30 raid that angered Syrian allies Iran and Russia.
"This attack proves the direct involvement of the Israeli occupation in the conspiracy against Syria and its links with terrorist groups in the aggression supported by Western countries and some Gulf countries," SANA said.
Emotions ran high as Germany's biggest terrorism trial in decades got underway Monday in Munich. The hearing is on the murders of 10 people who were the victims of a nearly decadelong neo-Nazi terror campaign against the Turkish community there.
A group of Turkish immigrants scuffled with German security forces, trying to get into the courthouse to see the trial up close. They and many others among the 3 million people of Turkish descent who live in Germany are angry, saying the murders and aftermath highlight prevalent racism not just in society but in the government. They want to know why German authorities failed to uncover — let alone stop — the terror campaign against them.
Seventy-seven relatives of the victims are co-plaintiffs alongside the government. They are expected to be in the courtroom on and off during the trial, which could last for years. More than 600 witnesses are scheduled to be called.
SANA news agency said the Syriac Orthodox and Greek Orthodox Archbishops of Aleppo, Yohanna Ibrahim and Paul Yazigi, were seized by "a terrorist group" in the village of Kfar Dael as they were "carrying out humanitarian work"
.Sources in both churches said the kidnappers were believed to be Chechen fighters, who stopped the car in an area outside of Aleppo.
"The news which we have received is that an armed group... (of) Chechens stopped the car and kidnapped the two bishops while the driver was killed," an official from the Syriac Orthodox diocese said in a statement posted online.
A source in the Greek Orthodox Church said the kidnappers had described themselves as "Chechen jihadists."
The fate of two prominent Orthodox bishops reportedly kidnapped in northern SYRIA remains uncertain, after their churches were unable to verify a claim that the pair had been released by their "terrorist" captors.
BBC NEWS reports that Greek Orthodox Bishop Boulos Yazigi and Syriac Orthodox Bishop Yohanna Ibrahim, both leaders of their churches in Aleppo are still missing and their families remain concerned about their well-being. The two men were seized and their driver killed on Monday by an armed terrorist group
The Russian Orthodox Church had previously expressed condolences, calling on the international community to join efforts to free the two bishops who were abducted in the Syrian province of Aleppo, said Metropolitan Hilarion, chair of the Department for External Church Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate.
"We are now taking steps to find out where they are, to help them and get them early return from captivity," he said, according to the department’s official website.
74 schoolgirls in Afghanistan's far north fell sick after smelling gas and were being examined for possible poisoning, local officials said on Sunday.
While instances of poisoning are sometimes later found to be false alarms, there have been numerous substantiated cases of mass poisonings of schoolgirls by elements of Afghanistan's ultra-conservative society that are opposed to female education.
Local officials said the girls became ill after smelling gas at their school, Bibi Maryam, in Takhar province's capital, Taluqan. The city is about 250 kilometers north of the country's capital, Kabul.
The Takhar governor's spokesman, Sulaiman Moradi, blamed "enemies of the government and the country" for the mass illness and said the aim was to stop girls from going to school.
The girls were taken to the provincial hospital and most were released after being treated, though several remained in a critical condition on Sunday evening, the head of the hospital, Dr Jamil Frotan, said.
"We have already sent samples of their blood to the Ministry of Public Health and it will soon become clear what the reason for their illness was," Frotan said.
The apparent poisoning came three days after more than a dozen students fell ill in another girls' high school in Taluqan. No-one has claimed responsibility for either incident.
Between May and June last year there were four poisoning attacks on a girls' school in Takhar, prompting local officials to order principals to stay in school until late and staff to search the grounds for suspicious objects and to test the water for contaminants.
Takhar has been a hotbed of militancy and criminal activity since 2009, with groups such as the Taliban and the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan active.
Since the 2001 ousting of the Taliban, which banned education for women and girls, females have returned to schools, especially in Kabul.
But periodic attacks against female students, their teachers and their school buildings, continue.
Car bombs and attacks in cities across Iraq -- including two blasts at a checkpoint at Baghdad’s international airport -- killed at least 20 people and wounded more than 200 on Monday, police said.
The wave of attacks in Baghdad, Kirkuk, Tuz Khurmato and other towns came just days before Iraqis vote in provincial elections that will test political stability more than a year after U.S. troops left Two people were killed by car bombs that exploded at a Baghdad airport checkpoint, police sources said.
Attacks on the heavily guarded airport and the fortified International Zone housing many embassies are rare, but insurgents have stepped up bombings this year.
"Two vehicles managed to reach the entrance of Baghdad airport and were left parked there. While we were doing routine searches, the two cars exploded seconds apart. Two passengers travelling to the airport were killed," a police source said.
The most deadly attack was in Tuz Khurmato, 105 miles north of Baghdad, where four bombs targeting police patrols killed five people and wounded 67, officials said. the country.
No one claimed responsibility for Monday's bombings, but al Qaeda's local wing, the Islamic State of Iraq, and other Sunni Islamist groups have vowed to wage a campaign against Shiites and the government to stoke sectarian confrontation.